It’s fortunate this hasn’t been a major problem for Nintendo’s big releases until now, which we can assume is all thanks to extensive play-testing, however what happened finally happened. A major game-breaking bug has been identified in Metroid: Other M that’ll hinder the player’s ability to progress through the campaign. Nintendo has posted the following information on their website to serve as a warning on how to avoid the bug, but if it happens to you, they’ll also fix your game save. This however, is not a quick process; it’s probably easier to just start over.
It just comes to show how the ability to patch games over the internet can dramatically improve a gamer’s experience—or amend a damaged one—just so long as developers don’t use that avenue to rush games out the door. Though with the combination of lasting first impressions, stringent console regulations and the fact that everyone doesn’t have the internet, we have little to fear, but simply put that the more complicated games get, the more unavoidable scenarios like these are.
Below are the details so that you can prevent this from happening to you:
There is a door in Sector 3 that cannot be unlocked and opened. It remains red and locked, making it impossible to advance in the game.
Location Of The Door:
The door that remains red and locked is located in the basement of the Desert Refinery in Sector 3. After defeating the crustacean boss enemies located on the top level of the Desert Refinery, an elevator appears that goes down to this area. The door can be found on the other side of the wall from the three Grapple Points.
The Cause Of This Problem And How To Avoid It:
This sequence of events will cause the door in Sector 3 to remain locked:
1. In the room after the large lava area in Sector 3, battle the Space Pirates to unlock the Ice Beam.
2. Proceed to the second room ahead.
3. Defeat the enemies with spiked, purple legs to unlock the door at the end of the room.
- - To create the issue: Do not go through this door and instead backtrack to the room where the Ice Beam was obtained. Continuing to play from here creates the issue.
- - To avoid the issue: Proceed through the door that was just unlocked at the end of the room before doing any backtracking to any previous rooms.
FIXING THE ISSUE
If you are experiencing this issue, we are able to resolve it by fixing your save data. For instructions on how to set up a repair by sending us your save file on an SD card, or for other options, please call 1-800-255-3700. Representatives are available from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm (PST) seven days a week.